Muammar Gaddafi’s second-eldest son, Saif al-Islam, and other former regime officials will stand trial in August for crimes committed during the 2011 uprising, an aide to the prosecutor said on Monday.
Notorious former spy chief Abdullah al-Senussi will be among others to be tried at the court in August. Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi, the last prime minister to serve under Gaddafi, and Mansur Daw, who headed the People’s Guard, will also be among those to stand trial, a member of the prosecutor’s office told reporters on Monday.
The men are accused of crimes committed against the Libyan people during the 2011 revolution, which toppled the longstanding Gaddafi regime and saw the former leader killed by revolutionaries.
Asked if the accused would be in the dock at the same time, Al-Seddik Al-Sur of the prosecutor’s office said: “This case will not be divided.”
“These [former] officials met together to drum up a policy of repression and a common criminal plan, putting them on trial separately would perturb proceedings,” he said.
Forty-year-old Saif al-Islam has been held by a brigade of former rebel fighters in Zintan, a city 180 kilometres southwest of Tripoli, since his capture in the desert in November 2011.
The International Criminal Court based in The Hague, mandated by the UN Security Council to investigate the Libyan conflict, has clashed with Libya’s new authorities for the right to prosecute Saif al-Islam.
It has issued arrest warrants for Gaddafi’s son and his spy chief, accusing them of crimes against humanity.
Earlier this month Libya said it will appeal to the ICC to reverse its decision to prosecute Saif al-Islam.
Last week the ICC suspended an order requiring Tripoli to hand over Senussi.
Leave your comment here